Screen capture or often referred to as a screenshot according to Wikipedia is a digital image that displays the contents of a computer screen. Usually, most people take screenshots to save or share with others for work needs, personal affairs and so on.
Almost all smartphone users certainly know how to capture the screen. However, unlike laptops/pc, there are still many people who don’t know how to capture screens or screenshots, they may not even know that there is a screenshot feature on their laptop/pc.
If for laptop/pc users maybe some of you already know how to take screenshots, but not all laptop/pc users know this especially for those of you who are just starting out. laptops/pc:
How to take screenshots on laptops and PCs
Using the Print Screen Key (PrtScn)
The first way we will use is to use the printscreen button. Usually this button is located at the top right of the keyboard. Or it could be different for some types. Here are the steps to take a screenshot using the printscreen button:
- The first thing you have to do is make sure the page you want to screenshot is currently appearing on the laptop or PC screen.
- Press the printscreen button in the upper right corner of the keyboard.
- After you press the button, it’s like nothing happened on the screen. Don’t worry because the screenshot was successful and automatically saved to the clipboard. Then you just need to paste it into another app.
- Next, open the editing application. Usually the easiest option is to use paint
- You can paste the previous screenshot that is still stored on the clipboard on the paint page by ctrl+V or right-click and paste.
- Before you save, you can also edit the screenshot first or you can also save it directly.
Application/Software Snipping Tool
This software is a default application from the default windows that has been installed automatically on all Microsoft Windows products. Snipping Tool has a very small file size so it is light to use compared to other software. How to operate is also very simple and can be done by anyone. Here’s how to capture the screen using the snipping tool:
The first thing you have to do is open the snipping tool application. If you can’t see it on your desktop, you can search for it using the Windows search feature.
Then make sure that the screen to be screenshot appears on the laptop or PC screen.
Click new, at the top after the application opens
After the application is minimized you are able to capture the screen
Drag the cursor until the part you want to screenshot is all selected
If everything is selected, release the drag on the mouse
After that, the screenshot that has been taken will automatically be saved in the snipping tool application
You can edit the screenshots in this application or you can directly save the screenshots.
Using Alt+PrintScreen . keys
The way to take a screenshot or the next screenshot is with hotkeys on the keyboard using Alt+Printscreen / Alt+PrtSc which are pressed simultaneously. The combination of these two buttons can help you to get the desired screenshot. Here are the steps to screenshot using plt+printscreen:
- First of all, open the app or screen you want to screenshot
- Then press alt+printscreen
- Next, the same as the previous method, open the paint> new> application right click then paste or with ctrl + v
- Last but not least, you just have to save the image or screenshot in a folder
Using Windows Key+PrintScreen
The next easy way to capture the screen is to use the windows + printscreen combination key and press it simultaneously. For those who are still confused about the Windows button, it is square but tilted and is more like a window located at the bottom left of the keyboard.
This method has convenience, among others, that you don’t need an additional application to save the screenshots. Here are the steps:
- Like the previous methods, specify the screen or page you want to screenshot
- Then click the windows button + printscreen at the same time
- The screenshots will automatically be saved in the picture document file on your laptop or computer.
- To make it easier to find screenshots, you can right click>click sort by>click date
Using Windows Key+Shift+S
For this method, it can only work if you install the Windows 10 operating system, which is the latest version. Here are the steps:
- Click windows key+shift+s at the same time
- The laptop screen will automatically dim which indicates that you are doing the screenshot process on the screen
- After the cursor changes, you can select which part of the screen you want to screenshot
- Then you just open the editor application and paste the screenshot
Using the Lightshot App
The previous methods were how to capture the screen with the built-in features, this time we will use a third-party application. The lightshot application has many functions to perform screen capture. This application can also be used to edit screenshots. Here are the steps:
- The first thing you need to do is download the lightshot application.
- After the installation process is complete the lightshot will appear on the windows toolbar automatically
- Then activate the application from the toolbar window
- Once active, the PrintScreen button on your keyboard will function as a screenshot command on your computer/laptop.
- Simply press the printscreen button on your keyboard to use this application
- Specify the area you want to screenshot with your mouse cursor.
- Done, you can edit it first or save it right away
Using the Photoscape App
Photoscape is also a software to take screenshots / screenshots that can be your choice. The Photoshop software application has photo editing features that can manipulate image objects. Here are the steps:
- First download first and then install the Photoshop application
- Open the Photoshop application if the application is already installed on your laptop/pc
- Open the page or screen you want to screenshot
- Then click the screen capture icon in the Photoshop application
- If so, choose one of the three options, namely capture the entire screen, capture part of it
screen, or screenshot on last capture only
- After selecting, the screenshot results will automatically appear in the application
- After that you can directly save the screenshot or want to edit it first
Using the Dropbox App
The next way is to use the dropbox application. This application may sound familiar to some people because this application is a fairly popular online data sharing media. One of the features contained in this application is that it can take screenshots automatically and quickly. Here are the steps:
- Download and install the dropbox application on your laptop/pc
- Open the application and select the preferences menu then click the import option.
- Click the check mark on the words ‘save screenshot to your dropbox’
- Then press print screen on the image you want to screenshot and the image is automatically saved in the dropbox account
- To see the screenshot, you just need to open the Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer. And the screenshots are saved in the screenshots folder.
Using Windows Logo Key+Volume Down
For this method, you need to be reminded that it can only be done by Windows Surface users. This method is similar to when you take a screenshot on a smartphone or tablet. Here are the steps:
Press the windows button at the bottom of the Surface screen and the volume down button on the side of the tablet at the same time.
Then the screen will dim briefly indicating that you are doing the screenshot process on the screen
To see screenshots you can look for them in the image folder (screenshots) because the screenshots will be saved automatically.
Using the Game Bar (Windows Key+G)
The last way that you can use to get a screenshot on your laptop or computer is to use the game bar. You can use the game bar to take screenshots when you are playing a game or not. Here are the steps:
Press windows key + g at the same time
After you press the two buttons, the game bar will appear
Then click the screenshot button found on the game bar, or you can also use the default keyboard shortcut windows key + alt + printscreen to get a full screen screenshot.
The screenshot results will appear in the ‘gallery’ window, you can open it by clicking the ‘open file location’ button located in the lower right corner.
Those are 10 ways to be able to capture the screen on a laptop or computer. Of course, each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, you just have to choose the one that you think is the easiest and easiest to practice. Hopefully this article can be useful.